Hartest

I thought I was taking a photograph of a crudely scratched cross. I nearly didn't bother because.... well, after a while you get pretty used to taking hundreds of pictures of crosses and tally marks.
 
Imagine how I felt when I got home and reviewed the photos. The cross had feet, and possibly a head! In fact, the cross has become a *he* - a little knight waiting for battle next to the chancel.
I can't possibly tell what time period the knight is from, the church was built in 1400 so he can't be from before that date, but he isn't detailed a enough to place him by the armour/helmet etc. Was he even a real person? Maybe he was the idea of a *real* man.
 
 
 
Here's another thing. There is a scratch dial design just to the side of a pillar niche. Great, we all know what a scratch dial looks like, and that it marks out time (albeit crudely). But how? How can this dial possibly work, inside, without the slanting direct light of the sun? It's mystifying.


 Is it a metaphysical scratch dial, a symbolic dial demonstrating not the real passing of time, but the idea of passing time? Maybe not all scratch dials are created equal, or are some of the scratch dials not scratch dials at all?
 
 
In the same vein I would also like to know which saint originally resided in that niche - because the graffiti is very definitely clustered by it. Whoever it was, they were the focus of the common man. Not much chance of me finding out right now though. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Someone was covering all their bases with that dedication!