Girton's bell tower

You turn up at Girton church and you've already had a face full of graffiti just walking through the porch. So you aren't really feeling hungry any more ...
Then you find "Hugo" right in the middle of the stone doorway to the bell tower - clear as day.
 "Hugo of .....? Where Hugo Where? Why did you stop? It looks like secretary hand which would qualify as "quite old".

Then underneath it is "William", muscling in. William with his big bold 19th c initials. Well I'm sorry William - I prefer Hugo.

In all honesty though I should be grateful to the pair of them, because more tantalising and frustrating are the little snippets of fragments of text hiding underneath newer graffiti.

I can't make much of this out - it's like the snowstorm you got on the television as a child. White noise on stone

Then I can see AR 1959 - their lettering leaves a lot to be desired!
 It seems the younger the graffiti the more poorly carved on this piece of clunch 
(Incidentally I still choose Hugo for style).

But the best, at the top, on the left hand side, tucked, in, is a quite intriguing design. When I first saw it I was reminded of a fenland curse I'd heard of. The stick part at the top looks like the representation of the hemp plant. The curse is having this hemp design and a stake painted on your door with the words "Both grown for you". The intimation being that hemp is used to make rope with which you are supposed to hang yourself and the stake is to prevent you rising after a suicide's death.
 
But it isn't. According to V. Pritchard author of  "English medieval graffiti" it is, in fact a hobby horse with a Rudolph like nose coming away from the triangular head. So that's me told then!

Not being quite ready to give up on my rope theme I photographed the upper stairwell door. Are those marks at the top of the frame wear grooves from a bell rope? It would be nice if they were.