St Peter ad Vincula's Coggeshall

Today I went to Coggeshall - to see the church of St Peter ad Vincula (Peter in chains).

It has a double level porch, which has in the past doubled as living accommodation and an archive, People have been worshiping here since the Anglo Saxon period so even though I knew that a significant part of the church had been rebuilt after being bombed I was hopeful for some old graffiti inside.
 I'll cut straight to the chase. I was disappointed; there was nothing to be found.
Admittedly the organ was being renovated and the lady chapel was closed so I couldn't get around all of the church, but essentially you could see it was clean. Clean plasterwork, cleaned pillars, modern seating.
There was a lovely feeling of active life in the church and there was a good deal of bustle with people coming and going. Which I suppose is how things should be.

As consolation I decided to look at the brasses
 John and Johanne Paycocke circa 1533


 Johanne (Joan) is very seemly with her cap and her coif and her pinner around her shoulders. Her sleeves are turned back (revers/ reversed) and you can see her close fitting shift sleeves. When you look closely at her waist she has a sash tied in a loop and the circular detail to the right had edge of her skirt (which is looped up and not an apron as first glance suggests), is I fancy a skirt hook.
 
Her attire reminds me of the Englishwoman by Hans Holbein the younger, albeit with a cap instead of a veil.
 
Her husband on the other hand is looking very sensible in a split sleeved gown and square toed shoes



Similar to this chap - Thomas? Paycocke 1580
Sporting a short sleeved version of a mans gown, but essentially the same garment.




 
 






 
Outside I found a little graffiti. J S either 1928 or 1728, I can't decide
 
I imagine that the darkness within a scratch line is dirt, which increases with age. But I don't know that for sure.
 


Otherwise it is all modern stuff.

 
There is a nice door, the hinge suggestive of a cockerels head...
The doorknob the sun...
 the bottom hinge two crescent moons.