St James's in Nayland

First week of the holidays and it is summer holiday scorching in Suffolk, so after a minnowing trip to the river Stour we went into St James's in Nayland to cool down.
I had already spotted these crosses on the frame of the North door (which is the main entrance), while attending Nayland School's end of term celebration of learning. The local primary has grown so big that in order to fit in all the children and adults in for a large assembly the church is the best and nearest place.
Other then the crosses I couldn't find much in the porch. My children who have been coming with me to look for graffiti now know the drill, but they aren't very methodical in their searching. They scatter off with their torches and gleefully shout their finds, mostly from the pillar bases, while I play catch up with the camera.  











This one was described to me as "I've found an anchor Mummy"
!
Once they have finished I get to have a proper look myself.
I rather like this compound cross and picnic table design. It is interesting that it appears on a corresponding pair of pillars at the back of the nave. I guess that it is a Mason's mark?

It is tricky to get a raking light to show up the graffiti for a good  photo when outside the sun is blazing away, lighting up the church interior.

I had met up with another couple of friends inside, and then we promptly bumped into the author Ronnie Blythe who was also visiting the church.

He told us of some graffiti down in a Sussex bell tower, which detailed the changes that the bells were to be rung in.

I made a mental note to investigate this bell tower further and in the meantime just ended up snapping what I could; promising myself that I would come back and look properly another day.


There were initials, and dates





T. Cole
Ag. 79
1743
 
This memorial inscription is directly opposite the font. It couldn't have been carved without it being fairly obvious to the clergy what was going on!
 
 
But the best graffiti was to be found in the east transept area where there is a very noisy stone, found by my friend Ellie ( I was very jealous) and totally covered in what seems to be medieval graffiti



 





This piece of graffiti below would appear to be a *scratch dial* design. But it has no central hole and being inside the church without direct light, wouldn't appear to be very helpful as a timepiece?
I was really, really excited to find this design. I exaggerated the tonal value to bring out the design more clearly (I couldn't use a raking light). The original is just below.
Just above the heavily scored stone there are three crosses
 

While elsewhere in the church there is a heart (within the altar sanctuary)

This odd looking vertical line with groups of horizontal lines coming from it.






More arrows and picnic tables (I'm calling them this because I don't want to presuppose what they might be or mean)



Finally two feathery designs on pillars closer to the chancel. Are they counting something?