Newton Green All Saints


All Saints 14th c church in Newton Green on another stunningly bright day. I turned up in a really optimistic frame of mind because I know there is a wall mural, two monumental tombs and some really old glass. Working on that principle I reasoned there must be some early graffiti too.
 
I have started looking for graffiti after listening to a lecture by Matt Champion of the Norfolk graffiti survey and Suffolk Graffiti survey. I have asked to be trained as a volunteer surveyor, so my looking at local churches is really a way of getting my eye in and practicing my photography skills.

I was especially excited because I had my new scale/colour card freshly delivered to me by the postman. So I installed the children in the churchyard, gave them their picnic lunch to keep them occupied and sallied forth to see what I could find.
Then things started to unravel a bit - the light was so bright that you simply couldn't get any good sideways raked light to bring out the graffiti.

Shot after shot in the porch failed dismally, there are marks there - but I couldn't record them with any clarity. I gave up on the porch and moved onto the south chancel door. I will return to the porch door another day I promised myself.


I found a pentagram and some crosses on the chancel door frame (you have to look hard for the pentagram on the left)


 
This cross  below was very obvious, quite different in style, and was carved into the right hand frame of the south door. This is the main entrance to the church now, as the chancel is still an active place of worship; but the nave and tower are not, and are looked after by the Redundant Churches Fund.
 
 
 
Looking back from the nave to the chancel I was reminded how rood screens would effectively demarcate areas of the church and started thinking about how differently churches might have been used in the past.

I possess such a middle Anglican approach to churches, I'm sure they would have been very different places in the medieval period, not just visually.
 
Sadly there is a lot of what I suppose is limewash all over the walls, and over one of the monuments. Poor lady - she is so cocooned in the stuff, and the walls around her so friable. There was no graffiti here. 
 

 
 
There was also nothing to be found on the earlier font, and with their being no pillars inside my hopes were sinking fast. I found a bit of graffiti at the base of the tower (I think I counted 5 bells in the tower too).
 
 I can't decide if these little black score marks on the photo below are graffiti marks or not. Had they covered the whole face of the stone I would have dismissed them as dressing marks. Maybe they are, or maybe it is nothing more than wishful thinking on my part.


 The glass is all very beautiful, particularly a tree of life design set into a Norman arch on the north side. I shall leave you with the rest of the glass to admire while I go and write up the next blogpost of the other momumental tomb.