Big Boxford

Boxford is beautiful; big, beautiful, and old.
 
Apparently a church has been on this site from the 12th c
But the most part of what you see today is 15th c (according to the guide leaflet).
 
It has a large and impressive South porch (16th Caen stone).


and an equally impressive  wooden 14th c North porch.
 
Neither of which yielded up any interesting graffiti.
 Lots of initials, more initials than I could shake a stick at,
 but nothing as impressive as the aged architecture promised.

















I think you can see where I am going with this.... lots of "I was here" ego in stone; and as for the person who graffiti'd *Korn* - really? They had a couple of good songs but nothing worth immortalising on a sixteenth century church porch!
This was the piece I found most interesting. It was really difficult to pick out so I desaturated it and upped the contrast a little. It is a shield "1749" With the initial letter T and a second name ending in a double 'l'.

 
In the body of the church there were bits and pieces.  
 
I have to admit to be distinctly underwhelmed at this point. Where was the medieval graffiti? It had to be somewhere 


 
 
 
 
With me was a friend, who had also attended the talk about medieval graffiti.  She was loitering by a curtain that screened the tower, shining her torch on the bases of the pillars. She asked me whether I thought the clicking noise from behind the curtain might be a clock. Together we peered around the  curtain to investigate and there it all was!
 
The graffiti - finally!

A daisy wheel, crosses, text...


I took several photos of the same stones trying to get as clear a picture as possible.
 
I was too pleased to remember to use the scale (if I'm honest I had forgotten the blue tack to stick the scale to the wall). I had wanted to find a daisy wheel for such a long time. My grandfather had shown me the daisy wheels which were liberally scattered over his farm buildings. He told me that they were made with compasses and that they were protective symbols. Growing up I had heard it asserted that this kind of pattern was a pagan symbol which made me wonder why my churchwarden grandfather, who was very committed to his Christian faith had made such an effort to show them to me. It turns out that daisy wheels are just as Christian as the sign of the fish. 







 However I have no idea what these marks might mean.




 Then it was back out into the church again, to more initials...this time in the Lady chapel.
..and this rather special memorial. I think I should have quite liked to have met this woman

 I was also quite taken with  some of the brasses.
There is a memorial brass of a little baby who died too, but that was just too sad,

Then I looked up...

 
 Wow! There are some splendid paintings, where the rood screen would have been and a kind eyed Saint. I wonder which Saint he is?